To become a certified exterminator, you must:
- Complete the application form and return it with payment of $165.00 to Ontario Pesticide Training and Certification, University of Guelph Ridgetown Campus
- Review the study materials that will be sent to you. You will receive a Core Manual which contains information relevant to all exterminators and a Licence Category Specific Module which contains information relevant to each new licence class.
- Schedule for and write the certification examination at a convenient date and location in your area. The certification exam is multiple-choice and is made up of two parts. Each part is 50 questions long. The Core Manual exam is one-hour, closed book; the Licence Category Specific Module exam is one and a half hours, open book. (Details come with your study materials).
- Successfully complete the exam with a pass mark of 75% or greater on both parts of the exam. You will then receive a letter of certification; you must send a copy of this letter to the Ontario Ministry of the Environment (MOE) when you apply for a Pesticide Exterminator licence.
You must apply to the Ontario Ministry of the Environment for your Pesticide Exterminator Licence within one year of obtaining certification. The licence fee is $90 for five years.
If you fail on your first exam attempt, you have one year to rewrite the exam. You are allowed a maximum of two more attempts during the 12 months, with no more than two attempts in any six month period. The exam rewrite fee for failures is $40.00.
If you are already licensed/certified as an exterminator/applicator in another province or territory, and you wish to become licensed as an exterminator in Ontario, you must:
- Complete the order form for the purchase of Ontario exterminator study materials (the Core Manual which contains information relevant to all exterminators and a Licence Category Specific Module which contains information relevant to the licence class you already hold).
- Read and review the study materials that will be sent to you.
- Become knowledgeable about the legislation and regulations that govern the practice of the occupation of exterminators in Ontario. Copies of the Pesticides Act and Ontario Regulation 63/09 can be downloaded from http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/index.html
- Complete a form from the Ontario Ministry of the Environment indicating that you have obtained and are knowledgeable about the relevant materials.
- Have your home province or territory (the out-of-province regulatory authority) sign and complete a form indicating that your licence/certification has not been expired, or been cancelled or revoked. The form is available from the MOE. Alternatively, the out-of-province regulatory authority can write a letter on their letterhead providing the same information.
- Submit these forms along with a copy of your exisiting licence/certificate and receipt of the training materials to the MOE's Standard Development Branch.
Contact the Ontario Ministry of the Environment Standards Development Branch at 416-327-5519 for more information and to obtain the forms.